Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Bullying Needs to Stop!

I had an incident at school today in which a select group of students were bullying another student in my classroom.  It's amazing to me how sly they can be, because I had no idea what was happening until the victim came and told me.  I've seen this happen before with these same students and the same victim and I spoke with these students at that point.  Obviously my words and the consequences for their actions didn't stick.  So what am I to do?  Administration says to tell them when any act of bullying takes place, but when it is solely verbal or multiple students' words against another's, nothing happens.  

Our school recently participated in a cyber-bullying training for our students.  I was surprised by the amount of students that had no idea that harassment over texting, the phone, or the internet was a form of bullying.  I have decided that since I am still witnessing the act of bullying happening in our school, I'm going to spend some much needed class time addressing this topic.  I proceeded to do some research on anti-bullying and I found an amazing website, that can be used by students, teachers, administration, parents, or just about anyone interested in helping a victim or stopping a bully.  

This educators link to this website is 

If this is an issue you have seen in your classes, please take a look at this site.  It can be used as a great tool for students, parents, and even administration.  

Also, if anyone has any other resources or suggestions to stop bullying or cyber-bullying, please let me know.  I don't want to see this continue in my school and I'm going to do everything I can to put a stop to bullying, at least in my classroom.

5 comments:

  1. Here are some additional links that you might find useful for yourself and your peers:

    http://www.cyberbullyingprevention.com/

    http://www.ncpc.org/cyberbullying

    http://www.doe.in.gov/isssa/bullyingprevention_pg2.html

    http://cybersmartcurriculum.org/cyberbullying/ncsa/

    http://www.fightcrime.org/cyberbullying/

    I hope these links prove useful. Very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mike! You are awesome! I will definitely share this with my team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post reminds me of the recent incident of a kid's suicide as a result of bullying at school. I'm thinking that perhaps our society has been considering that school bullying is just part of growing up and didn't pay much attention to it. Sadly, tragedies caused by school bullying happen everywhere. Several times a year there are news reports on bullied kids' suicide in Korea too. What we need is to educate the children from young age how to treat each other. Teaching them to be decent members of the society is more important than teaching them to be A-students.

    Dont' be an Adult Bystander

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right Maya. This is a very disturbing situation. I have read a lot lately about bullying causing severe depression and sometimes suicide. I'm not going to stand for it in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bullying is becoming more prevalent. When I was in middle school, one of my best friends, Doug, had some type of noticeable physical birth defect. I didn't care what problems he had, he was my friend. Unfortunately, many people tried to bully this kid. I was always the big kid growing up. By the 7th grade, I turned into the hulk, I shot up to 6-4. With my size my Mom told me that I needed to watch out for the little guy. I was able to protect my friend Doug. When I hear of the acts of bullying, it breaks my heart. I grieve for the poor child that committed suicide. I don't know how bad, bad can get before someone decides the only way out is to end it all. In retrospect, I know my friend Doug must have had it bad being picked on all the time. I am just glad the Hulk was there to help him when I could.
    -Graham

    ReplyDelete