Sunday, October 4, 2009

Week 1--Blog Response to Joann Stegner


WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2009

New course, new POV

I must admit, I disliked blogging in the last class in which it was a requirement. I am really not sure why- I like to write- but it just never gelled for me.
I did, however, revisit the idea of blogging after losing my job at the end of the last school year. I thought I would chronicle the ups and downs of my lack of job, talk about the new and exciting things I would encounter and boast about my new accomplishments. I would fill the pages with salsa lessons, daily musings and funny anecdotes. I think I actually managed to write a paragraph once or twice and it consisted of me complaining and moaning about emotional drudgery. I have a difficult enough time sounding interesting in one line on Twitter- I couldn't possibly blog about my life- or lack there of.
So here we go again.
I decided not to re-purpose my last blog but start a new one. It will be chock full of fresh and new ideas, brilliant insight and astute observations. Words will flow from my mind, through my fingers and dance onto the page. I will be clever and captivating.
What does this have to do with anything in class?
Nothing, but every blog has to start somewhere.
Welcome.

1 COMMENTS:

jojoteach1109 said...
I agree with you about blogging in our last class. The requirements were very limiting and seemed to hold me back. The blog became a chore and I dreaded each and every post for fear that I wouldn't get a good grade or I would make some simple mistake and have to redo everything. I am very excited to get to share with everyone and express my thoughts more freely again. I like that you have brought a great sense of positivity into your new blog. I like your new point of view...you think you can assist me in bringing back my light? ~Jolene Tucker

1 comment:

  1. I usually don't comment on blog posts that are comments between students, but your exchange with Joann really got me thinking.

    We're in the process of making blogging a bigger part of the emdt program and I felt like it was important that our course directors hear what you and Joann had to share (without, of course, sharing your names!). Here is what I shared with the other course directors:

    emdt/AR co-conspirators,

    On one level or another I've been teaching communication and writing since I took my first teaching assignment 15-years ago. One thing that I learned right away was that it seemed to be a big function of the education system to take the eagerness of our little learners to share their every creation and over time crush it down to nothing, such that every fourth grader knows that no one wants hear what they have to say and even less what they think. The smart ones, in this system, are the ones who learn to speak and write in the language of their teachers, and that it's critically important to not make any mistakes in spelling or grammar. It shouldn't be much of a surprise that the ones who might suffer the most from this fear of writing are the ones who are part of the system that enforces this approach to writing, our masters students. But what they may not know, which I learned from my second-language 6th graders, is that they'll never get any better at writing without working at it on an ongoing basis and that requires that I release them from the system that says that they can only write about things that the teacher cares about and only in the style set by the teacher. You have to work against a lifetime of "correction" and just get them to write before you can help them to write "better."

    As we begin to make blogging a bigger part of our process, please consider the learning process and that putting thoughts down in writing for others to read takes something more than can be expressed in a check-list (though a check-list can be very helpful in the beginning). What prompted this concern is the following exchange between two of my current students about having to do a blog in my course:

    [Here's where Joann's blog entry followed by your comment was inserted]

    Standards of excellence and creativity will never be found where one doesn't have the freedom to make a thousand mistakes first. I should know. jbb

    I hope that you don't mind that I include this exchange in my own blog. jbb

    ReplyDelete