Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week 2--Chapter 5 Reading--HP Wars

In chapter 5 of Convergence Culture by Henry Jenkins, the discussion about Harry Potter intrigues me.  I read the first book and have seen the first movie, but really couldn't get into the rest of the series.  For me personally, it is a little far-fetched and simply just not my choice in reading or viewing material.  With that being said though, I find that Heather Lawver's endeavor in creating her web-based newspaper The Daily Prophet astonishes me.  I had no idea that there were this many students, teenagers, adults, etc. involved in such things.  I think it is a great way for students, and anyone for that matter, to express themselves and expand their writing/literacy skills.  I would completely support my students if they showed interest in a project of this sort and I think this is something that teachers should encourage instead of frowning upon.

I was disturbed by some of the actions described about preachers, communities, etc. banning the Harry Potter books, burning books/CD's/DVD's, and tearing the books apart before students' eyes.  In my opinion that shows complete ignorance on the part of the adults in this situation.  I can only imagine what these actions do to the self esteem of students being subjected to such insensitivity and these actions anger me immensely. 

I was raised with the understanding that witchcraft/wizardry was not appropriate or godly.  I was never allowed to play games that seemed to have a satanic spin on them or to view movies involving vampires, monsters, etc.,  but I was also taught the difference between fantasy and reality.  I believe that no one has the right to judge another person and I think the new discernment movement is a step in the right direction.  I believe if we teach our children, students, friends, etc. that role-playing, reading or exploring fictional people, places, and ideas are ways to expand their thinking/imaginations and not necessarily a lifestyle, the confusion of fantasy vs. reality will be lessened. 

I believe this debate is age-old and a solution will never be agreed upon as long as free will and human judgment is involved.  However, it is important that we as adults, teachers, parents, professionals, etc. remember that our students have the right to their imaginations and should be allowed to utilize them to the best of their abilities.  I learn something new from my students all the time and it is my hope that I will never forget how much they have to offer to me.  I look forward to all I have yet to learn and my mind is open to where the information may be stored and distributed. 

1 comment:

  1. I have these friends who were determined to bring up their son without what they thought were the destructive influences of guns and that kind of "play." This was in the early 80s and cartoons like GI Joe and Transformers were definitely in their Hey Day. Needless to say, by the time he was two or three and playing with the neighborhood kids any branch became a sword and any coat-hanger became a gun. The lack of these toys meant nothing because it was all about his imagination anyway. I don't know but I think how young children work out "good overcoming evil" often takes the form of this kind of play. Those who know the Harry Potter series better than I, tell me that the story is about growing up, standing up for what's right and not falling into the trap of letting "destiny" dictate ones course in life, that doing the right thing is more important than that. Seems like an important lesson to work out.

    ReplyDelete