Saturday, October 17, 2009

Week 3--Ch. 6 Reading--Lighten Up a Little


I am currently reading The Art of Possiblility by Rosamund and Benjamin Zander.  While reading chapters 1-6, I have two favorite chapters so far, 4 and 6.  I expressed my feelings about chapter 4 in an earlier blog post, so here are my thoughts on chapter 6.

Chapter 6: Rule Number 6

Rule Number 6 is “Don’t take yourself so…seriously” (pg. 79).  This is probably a rule I should post all over my house, car, and classroom.  I have a very difficult time with this concept.  The common theme throughout this chapter is “What would have to change for me to be completely fulfilled?”  I find this question to be ever so thought provoking.  Often times I feel that it is easier to look at how others need to change in order for me to be happy, but it is truly the other way around.  I try to be the best wife, friend, daughter, granddaughter, student, teacher, etc. that I can be, but I am not always confident in this ability.  I have always had a low self-esteem, but I wear such a good mask for everyone that it is seldom recognized.  It is when that mask is removed that I crumble.  I constantly worry about what others think about me and how I can do better.  This chapter has helped me to see that I need to learn to take myself much more lightly and to make any necessary changes (in me) to be completely fulfilled.















On another note, while reading The Art of Possibility, I came across a quote that describes a circumstance I would like to share.  The quote is “When one person peels away layers of opinion, entitlement, pride, and inflated self-description, others instantly feel the connection” (pg. 89).  In the past, I worked with a group of equally phenomenal people all seeking to reach the same goals, but each having very different opinions of one another and constantly working against each other.  The pride of each individual in this group was very evident and communication was hindered due to each person’s individual agenda overpowering the strength that would’ve come from working together.  If each person in this group would remove just one layer at a time from his/her own pride, the goals would be achieved at a much greater rate and with positive connections and camaraderie providing a more effective and happier group. 

Zander, R. & Zander, B. (2000). The art of possibility. New York: Penguin.
*Image compliments of Microsoft Clip Art Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment