Saturday, October 17, 2009

Week 3--Ch. 4 Reading--Playing the Contribution Game


I am currently reading The Art of Possiblility by Rosamund and Benjamin Zander.  I have always found an interest in self-help books.  I feel that there should be a lot more happiness and harmony in the world and if I need to work on my happiness to help provide it to others, then so be it.  While reading chapters 1-6, one of my favorite chapters is chapter 4. 

Chapter 4: Being a Contribution

The starfish analogy at the beginning of the chapter is very meaningful to me considering my job this past summer.  There were many days that I picked up and returned a washed-up starfish or other form of sea life to the ocean.  This was second nature to me, but reading this description sure made me feel good about my decision to stop for a moment to make a difference to that one. 












I am naturally a people pleaser and someone that can always be counted on to be there for her friends, family, coworkers, etc.  I have found that being helpful and making a difference for someone else simply makes me happy.  When I am unable to help someone or if I feel that I’ve left someone behind (a student specifically), it shatters me.  In stating this though, I have to be careful to understand that I may never know if or how I contributed or why the contribution was recognized.  This should be my plight in life; everything I do should have a purpose and if I can reach one person through my teaching, kindness, support, encouragement, and/or love, then my life will be complete. 

The following quote by Zander has led me to vow to play the “Contribution Game” and I’m going to pass this outlook onto my students, family and friends.  “Naming oneself and others as a contribution produces a shift away from self-concern and engages us in a relationship with others that is an arena for making a difference” (pg. 63).


Zander, R. & Zander, B. (2000). The art of possibility. New York: Penguin.

No comments:

Post a Comment